There are many preventable conditions that can cause illness in seniors who are not vaccinated. In fact, it is estimated that about 45,000 older adults die every year from complications caused by conditions that can be prevented with vaccination. At Home Care Assistance of Summit, NJ, the health of our clients is our highest priority. To preserve health and longevity, seniors may want to consider the following vaccinations, proven to be safe and effective by the Centers fro Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Flu Vaccine – Flu vaccinations are recommended for older adults once a year. While flu is usually mild in children, young adults, and middle-aged adults, it can be life-threatening for seniors who often have weakened immune systems.
- Pneumococcal Disease – This serious infection is a form of pneumonia that attacks the lungs and other parts of the body. The CDC recommends that seniors get this vaccine, which may be given safely along with a flu shot. In most cases, only one shot is advised.
- Tdap Booster – This single-dose booster vaccine was approved for use in seniors after rigorous safety testing. This is the first vaccine to prevent diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis, and is safe and effective with uncommon side effects that are usually very minor.
- Chickenpox Vaccine – While mild in children, chickenpox can threaten an older adult’s health and can even cause death in serious cases. Doctors may also recommend the shingles vaccine which protects against a painful rash, which is also caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – These diseases were once very common in the U.S., but they have since become rare due to the use of vaccines. Seniors who are unsure if they received this vaccination are encouraged to get the vaccination again as a second vaccine is not harmful to those who are already immune.
The above vaccinations have been tested for safety among older adults and found to protect seniors from potentially life-threatening conditions and their more serious complications. To learn more about senior health and wellness, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Summit. We are a premier provider of hourly and live-in care in Summit and promote total health with our Balanced Care Method. Call us at 908.450.9400 to learn more or to request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation.